Congratulations! You have a right-brained child! You have one of those wonderfully creative children who learns differently and looks at the world differently. If you are a right-brained person, then you already have some idea of what life is like for your child.
If you are left-brained, you may feel completely bewildered about what to do with this little person who doesn’t want to do anything the way you think it should be done!
Right Brain Child
My own Caroline is right-brained. After making it through the high-need baby stage and realizing she is a highly-sensitive and spirited child when she was a toddler, the right-brained discovery was rather anti-climatic. We’ve become accustomed to having to think outside the box with her. Homeschooling a right-brained child was just the next step!
I’ve compiled below what I hope you will find to be The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling a Right Brained Child. I’ve spent hours doing research to put all of this information in one place. I hope you will find it helpful and you will find many resources that will assist you in your homeschooling and parenting journey.
If you know of any good resources I’ve missed, please feel free to let me know about them in the comments!
Please note that the inclusion of a book or link below is not an endorsement of all of its content or the content of the site on which it is located.
Books About Right Brained Children
There are a number of helpful books if the idea of right brain learning is new to you. Kids who are right brained are perfectly normal. They simply approach things differently and that approach is often at odds with our very left brain way of doing school in this culture at this time.
Imagine if things were flipped and school was very right brain. The kids who tend to be more left brain would be the odd ones out and be labeled. Embrace your right brain child and learn as much as you can about her/him!
My Posts About Homeschooling My Right Brained Daughter
I have written for many years about my parenting and homeschooling journey with my right brained daughter. Below is a sampling of my posts where it comes up. Many of these do not explicitly discuss being right brained, but it factors into the content below. You can also check out the Right Brain Learners category.
- Homeschool Curriculum for a Right Brained, Spirited Child
- Homeschooling Curriculum for Gifted/2e Visual-Spatial Learners
- Relaxed Homeschooling Curriculum for a Creative Gifted Child
- 10 Great Amazon Products for Our Creative Homeschool Girl
- Should Elementary Students Formally Study Mathematics?
- Why I Homeschool in the Afternoon and Not the Morning
- Are You Choosing the Wrong Learning Materials for Your Child?
- Our Family’s Experience with Minecraft
- Relaxed Homeschooling in the Early Elementary Years – A Series
- How I Teach Science – Relaxed Homeschooling in the Early Elementary Years
- How I Teach Math – Relaxed Homeschooling in the Early Elementary Years
- How I Teach Language Arts – Relaxed Homeschooling in the Early Elementary Years
- How I Teach History – Relaxed Homeschooling in the Early Elementary Years
- A Sample Kindergarten Homeschool Schedule for a Creative, Dreamer Child
- Must Have Items for Homeschooling a Creative Girl
- My Child Hates Phonics
- The Gift of Creativity and Beauty in Our Homeschool
- Discovering Your Child is Gifted – Does It Matter?
Right Brain Math Workbooks
Right Brain Characteristics
Right brain kids have certain characteristics. These posts give some general information about right brain characteristics.
- Your Child Might Be Right-Brained If … from The Right Side of Normal
- Is Your Child Right-Brain Oriented? from The Homeschool Mom
- Why We Need to Value Students’ Spatial Creativity from KQED
- The Gender Factor from The Right Side of Normal
General Teaching and Curriculum for the Right Brained Child
Right brain children learn best with a different kind of approach. These posts about general teaching and curriculum for right brain kids will give you an overview of how to approach your child’s learning style.
- Teaching Your Right Brain Child from Child Diagnostics
- Right-Brain Learners from The Homeschool Mom
- Left Brain vs Right Brain in the Classroom from Scholastic
- Your Puzzling Gifted Child from Child Diagnostics
- Right Brain Learning from Funderstanding
Reading, Writing and Spelling for the Right Brained Child
Right brain children often learn reading, writing, and spelling very differently from how it is taught in traditional school settings.
- Right Brain Writing from Child Diagnostics
- Reading for Right-Brained Learners from Home EDucators Resource Directory
- Right-Brained Reading from The Homeschool Mom
Math for the Right Brained Child
Right brain children also learn math very differently than is the standard approach in schools. Here are some math strategies and insights for right brain kids.
- Right Brain Math from Child Diagnostics
- Right Brain Math Strategies from Child Diagnostics
- The Making of a Wizard and the Crafty Side of Math from Blog, She Wrote
- More Right-Brained Math Ideas from The Homeschool Mom
Right Brain Learning Products by Dianne Craft
Dianne Craft works extensively with right brained children and has developed many learning products to help them and their parents. Here are some of them that are available to order.
Other Bloggers with Right Brained Children
- Marianne at Abundant Life
- Ticia at Adventures in Mommydom
- Heather at Blog, She Wrote
- Tricia at Hodgepodge
- Chellie at The Planted Trees