We are the thankful parents of our only child, a daughter who is currently
eight nine ten eleven. It was never our intention to have an only child. We always saw ourselves with at least a few children and were open to more than a few if that was how God led.
Instead we experienced many years of childlessness and one known miscarriage before we finally discovered we were expecting our daughter on our ninth wedding anniversary. I had a difficult high-risk pregnancy and challenging c-section with complications afterwards. In the end, we decided that we did not want to put me through another pregnancy and so made the choice to be content with our family of three.
As I’ve sought to find good information online regarding raising my only child, I’ve compiled some selections here I hope will encourage other parents of onlies. Included are:
- Books about Only Children
- My Posts about Parenting an Only Child
- Bloggers with Only Children
- Only Child Jewelry (for fun!)
- Additional Resources for Living and Learning with an Only Child
- Homeschooling the Only Child – A Homeschool Hangout (Video)
If you know of other good resources, please let me know!
Please note: The inclusion of a book or link is not an endorsement of all its content or the content of the site on which it is found.
Books About Only Children and Parenting an Only Child
One and Only: The Freedom of Having an Only Child, and the Joy of Being OneOnly One YouThe Future of Your Only Child: How to Guide Your Child to a Happy and Successful LifeParenting an Only Child: the Joys and Challenges of Raising Your One and OnlyThe Seven Common Sins of Parenting An Only Child: A Guide for Parents and FamiliesOnly Child: Writers on the Singular Joys and Solitary Sorrows of Growing Up SoloThe Case for the Only Child: Your Essential GuideThe Only Child: How to Survive Being OneWe’re Three: A Story About Families and The Only ChildAdventures of an Only ChildThe Only ChildKeys to Parenting the Only Child
My Posts About Having an Only Child
The implications of having an only child runs throughout my website content, but these are posts specifically about parenting our only child.
Deciding to Have an Only ChildTwo Surprising Reasons I Love the Little Bear DVDsOur Planned C-section Birth StoryShould I Send My Child to Preschool? Thoughts on Education, Family, and Community from a Christian Perspective5 Reasons Why We Love Our Homeschool Co-opHomeschool versus Christian School
Bloggers with Only Children
There are quite a few blogs written by women who have an only child. These blogs include all different kinds of families in terms of schooling choices, age of child, etc.
- Heather at Beauty That Moves
- Amy at Milk and Cookies
- Jimmie at Jimmie’s Collage
- Renee at Great Peace Academy
- Patricia at Raising a Self-Reliant Child
- Marcy at Ben and Me
- Karen at Homeschool Girls
- Diana at Diana Wrote
- Whitney at Our Homeschool Adventure Blog
- Lori at Frog’s Lilypad
- Denise at Simply Bubbly
- Natalie at Planet Smarty Pants
- Rebekah at There Will Be a $5 Charge for Whining
- Missouri Mama at Ozark Ramblings
Only Child Jewelry
Because jewelry is always fun and only child jewelry is special.
Sterling SilverSterling Silver Mom and Child Diamond Drop Pendant Necklace (1/10 cttw, I-J Color, I2-I3 Clarity), 18Sterling Silver Open TeardropSterling Silver Open Teardrop with Mother Child Silhouette1/6 ct Created Emerald Mother & Child Pendant with Diamonds in Sterling Silver & 14K Gold, 18Sterling Silver Mother and Child Pendant NecklaceSterling Silver Mother-and-Child Silhouette Pendant Necklace, 18Mother and Child Pendant Necklace with Diamonds in Sterling Silver & 10K GoldSterling Silver Mother and Child a Mother’s Love Heart with Cubic Zircon Pendant Necklace, 18YFN Mother Child Christmas Thanksgiving Jewelry 925 Sterling Silver Owl Necklace Gift(Owl Necklace)
Additional Only Child Resources
This is a collection of links to Pinterest boards, articles, and blog posts that all deal with having an only child.
- My Only Children Pinterest Board
- Homeschooling an Only Child: The Pros and Cons from Simple Homeschool.net
- Only Children Lens on Squidoo
- The Only Child: Debunking the Myths from TIME.com
- What I’d Like for You to Know: The Mom of an Only Child from Rocks in My Dryer
- Being an Only Child from BeingAnOnly.com
- Parents of Only Children Discussion Board from BabyCenter.com
- What’s Wrong With Having One Child? from The New York Times
- Raising an Only Child from New Jersey Family
Homeschooling the Only Child – A Homeschool Hangout
I am a part of the iHomeschool Network. This is a hangout we did on the topic of only children.