We are the thankful parents of our only child, a daughter who is currently
eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen fifteen. It was never our intention to have an only child. We always saw ourselves with at least a few children and were open to more than a few if that was how God led.
Instead we experienced many years of childlessness and one known miscarriage before we finally discovered we were expecting a baby on our ninth wedding anniversary. I had a difficult high-risk pregnancy and challenging c-section with complications afterwards.
In the end, we decided that we did not want to put me through another pregnancy and so made the choice to be content with our family of three. It was not a decision we made lightly. Some people might find the decision to have an only child an easy one. Although we knew it was the right choice and would still make the same choice, it was not a simple or easy choice.
As I’ve sought to find good information online regarding raising my only child, I’ve compiled some selections here I hope will encourage other parents of onlies.
If you know of other good resources, please let me know!
Please note: The inclusion of a book or link is not an endorsement of all its content or the content of the site on which it is found.
My Posts About Having an Only Child
The implications of having an only child runs throughout my website content, but these are posts specifically about parenting our only child.
- Deciding to Have an Only Child
- Two Reasons I Love the Little Bear DVDs
- Should I Send My Only Child to Preschool?
- 5 Reasons Why We Love Our Homeschool Co-op
- Homeschool Versus Christian School
Homeschooling the Only Child – A Homeschool Hangout
I’m was a member of the iHomeschool Network for a number of years. This is a hangout we did on the topic of only children when Caroline was seven.
Books About Only Children and Parenting an Only Child
There are several books related to parenting an only child, being an only child, etc. Click on any cover to see more details.
Bloggers with Only Children
There are quite a few blogs written by women who have an only child. These blogs include all different kinds of families in terms of schooling choices, age of child, etc.
- Jimmie at Jimmie’s Collage
- Renee at Great Peace Living
- Patricia at Raising a Self-Reliant Child
- Marcy at Ben and Me
- Karen at Homeschool Girls
- Whitney at Our Homeschool Adventure Blog
- Lori at Frog’s Lilypad
- Rebekah at There Will Be a $5 Charge for Whining
Additional Only Child Resources
This is a collection of links to Pinterest boards, articles, and blog posts that all deal with having an only child.
- My Only Children Pinterest Board
- Homeschooling an Only Child: The Pros and Cons from Simple Homeschool.net
- Only Children at HubPages
- What I’d Like for You to Know: The Mom of an Only Child from Rocks in My Dryer
- Being an Only Child from BeingAnOnly.com
- Parents of Only Children Discussion Board from BabyCenter.com
- Raising an Only Child from New Jersey Family
- Don’t Make Me Feel Bad For Having an Only Child from PopSugar