Last night as I was about to go to bed, I realized I had a package of boneless chicken breasts that was dated that day. (These things happen when you’ve been high on cough drops all week.) I decided to just quickly clean them and throw them in the crockpot overnight to make shredded chicken. I will use the shredded chicken in quesadillas, enchiladas, tortilla soup, etc. I looked online for inspiration and came up with this concoction.
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Pace picante sauce
- 2-3 TBSP of homemade taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste*
- Put chicken breasts in crockpot. Sprinkle the taco seasoning and salt on the chicken breasts. Pour in water and top off with picante sauce.
- Cook on low overnight or for eight hours.
- Remove to jelly roll pan and begin pulling apart.
- Allow to cool slightly and then finish shredding.
- Freeze in one cup portions in sandwich bags.
*If you don’t make homemade taco seasoning, you can use store bought packages. You could then eliminate the salt. I added salt because my seasoning mix doesn’t have salt.
If you need forms and printables to help you with your meal planning, don’t miss these I created:
About Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes
These are recipes I have enjoyed throughout my life – as a child, as a young woman, and now as a wife and mom. I am sharing them because they taste good and are relatively easy to make. They only require basic ingredients that most women will be able to easily find and afford. I encourage you to use the best ingredients your can afford for the best results. It really does make a tremendous difference in the quality of the final product.
For example, I only use King Arthur Unbleached Flour for regular baking. After some inexplicable failed results at long-time favorites, I no longer use store brand butter for any baking. I only use Land O’Lakes. The difference is substantial and can mean the difference between a high quality end product and a mess.
And, please, if you do try one of my recipes and like it, come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!
Categories: Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes
Latest posts by Sallie Borrink (see all)
- A Day in Our Cozy Life #4 - August 23, 2019
- The Life Lessons of Warren Wiersbe, Rachel Held Evans, and Those Falling Away by Deconstructing Their Faith - August 17, 2019
- Free Squirrels Word Search Printable - August 14, 2019
- Christ-Centered Homeschool Science In-Person Lab Intensives - August 13, 2019