This is one of my most favorite things to eat in the whole world. I serve these salmon patties with creamed peas on top. My mom always served salmon patties with creamed peas (albeit a different salmon patty recipe). When I asked her why she served them that way, she said that the restaurant in one of the big department stores in downtown Lansing always served them that way.
So the combination might sound strange, but the creamed peas on the salmon patties is so good. So good that this was what Caroline picked for her second birthday dinner, if you can believe it. I serve hot buttered egg noodles with this.
This recipe is for a 6 ounce package of salmon. The first recipe I had came from a 7 ounce package and all of the sudden the recipe wasn’t working. The company cut the size of the package and I didn’t realize it. Now I buy the canned Wild Alaskan Salmon that comes in a package of six cans at Costco. I’ve also used the Chicken of the Sea pouches, but they are harder to find now.
This makes just enough for three people so if you have a bigger family, you will probably need to double it.
Salmon Patties with Green Onion and Red Pepper
- 6 ounce can of salmon (drained, if necessary)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 Tbsp seasoning salt
- Red pepper to taste
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Gently flake salmon. Stir in red pepper, green onion, mayo, lemon juice, seasoning salt, and red pepper.
- Stir in egg and 1/3 cup of bread crumbs.
- Divide and form mixture into 8 balls.
- Place remaining bread crumbs on a plate. Roll balls in bread crumbs and flatten into cakes about 1/2 inch thick.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Fry cakes until golden brown on both sides (approximately 3-4 minutes per side).
- Serve immediately.
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!
Don’t miss my A Quiet Simple Life Planner and Guidebook. It contains over 500 pages of printables, forms, calendars, inspiration, and ideas to help you create a cozy life full of peace, understanding, joy, beauty, and faith for you and your loved ones.