Key lime pie is a wonderful light dessert for summer. You must use Key Limes for this and not regular limes. Key Limes are tiny little limes that usually come in a bag. Their flavor is wonderful. (Don’t miss the handy tip a reader shared in the comments!)
Key Lime Pie
- 4 large or extra large egg yolks
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh Key Lime juice (about 12 limes)
- 2 tsp grated lime peel, green portion only
- 1 graham cracker crust
- Beat egg yolks with electric mixer until they are thick and turn to a light yellow. Don’t overmix.
- Turn the mixer off and add the sweetened condensed milk. Turn speed to low and mix in half of the lime juice.
- Once the juice is incorporated, add the other half of the juice and the zest. Continue to mix until blended (just a few seconds).
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
I usually top with a little dollop of whipped cream.
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!