This Blueberry and Cream Cheese Strata Casserole is my personal adaptation. I made this a couple of times and after reading some other versions and comments online, made some tweaks to make it my own. This is the best version by far!
My changes were more maple syrup, less eggs, more blueberries, and adding vanilla and salt. There are versions online that have a blueberry syrup recipe to go with it, but I always serve it with maple syrup. I recently served it at a breakfast brunch with assorted fruits and peppered bacon. It was a big hit!
Blueberry & Cream Cheese Strata Casserole
- 14 oz bread cut in one inch cubes (I use Italian)
- 8 oz. cream cheese cut in small bits
- 1 and 1/2 cups of wild blueberries (thaw and pat dry-ish if frozen)
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup maple syrup (original recipe called for 1/3 so somewhere between the two)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash of salt
- Grease a 13×9 glass dish. Place half the bread cubes in the bottom of the dish. Next layer all the blueberries and then all the cream cheese. Layer the rest of the bread.
- Beat the remaining ingredients together with hand mixer. Pour over bread and fruit. Gently push bread pieces down as needed to ensure they soak up egg mixture.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with maple syrup.
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!
Don’t miss my A Quiet Simple Life Planner and Guidebook. It contains over 500 pages of printables, forms, calendars, inspiration, and ideas to help you create a cozy life full of peace, understanding, joy, beauty, and faith for you and your loved ones.