I found so many great comfort food recipes like this hearty split pea soup on a site called Stephanie’s Country Kitchen Goodness. This hearty split pea soup is yummy and good for you. It’s also fairly economical. It uses a little bit of this and that so it’s also a great soup to make when you might be running low on things in your pantry.
Hearty Split Pea Soup
- 16 ounces dry, green split peas (rinsed)
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 lb cooked, finely chopped ham
- 2 or 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp dry thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer 1 & 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add water as necessary if it becomes too thick.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!
Don’t miss my A Quiet Simple Life Planner and Guidebook. It contains over 500 pages of printables, forms, calendars, inspiration, and ideas to help you create a cozy life full of peace, understanding, joy, beauty, and faith for you and your loved ones.