We’ve been enjoying this slow cooker beef stew and I thought I should share the recipe. It is so easy and smells great while it is cooking. With all of the spices there is no need for any kind of added broth. Just water works great! This is the recipe my mom made when I was growing up. I omit the celery since I’m not a fan, but I included it in the recipe below.
Easy Crockpot Beef Stew
- 3 carrots, cut up
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 & 1/2 pounds stew meat
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 or 3 onions, quartered
- 1 stalk celery with tops, cut up
- Put all ingredients in crockpot in order listed.
- Stir just enough to mix spices.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours (low for 10-12 hours).
To Make Gravy
- Remove stew with a slotted spoon and place in a covered dish to keep warm.
- Pour juices from the crockpot into a saucepan, using a strainer to strain the broth.
- Mix 1/2 cup of cold water and 1/4 cup of flour with a whisk.
- Slowly pour flour mixture into broth, stirring constantly over medium heat.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time until the gravy is the consistency and flavor you want. (You may not have to use all of the flour mixture depending on how much broth you have.)
- Pour hot gravy over stew and stir enough to mix.
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!
Don’t miss my A Quiet Simple Life Planner and Guidebook. It contains over 500 pages of printables, forms, calendars, inspiration, and ideas to help you create a cozy life full of peace, understanding, joy, beauty, and faith for you and your loved ones.