We’ve been enjoying this slow cooker beef stew and I thought I should share the recipe. It is so easy and smells great while it is cooking. With all of the spices there is no need for any kind of added broth. Just water works great!
This is the recipe my mom made when I was growing up. I omit the celery since I’m not a fan, but I included it in the recipe below.
Easy Crockpot Beef Stew
- 3 carrots, cut up
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 & 1/2 pounds stew meat
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 or 3 onions, quartered
- 1 stalk celery with tops, cut up
- Put all ingredients in crockpot in order listed.
- Stir just enough to mix spices.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours (low for 10-12 hours).
To Make Gravy
- Remove stew with a slotted spoon and place in a covered dish to keep warm.
- Pour juices from the crockpot into a saucepan, using a strainer to strain the broth.
- Mix 1/2 cup of cold water and 1/4 cup of flour with a whisk.
- Slowly pour flour mixture into broth, stirring constantly over medium heat.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time until the gravy is the consistency and flavor you want. (You may not have to use all of the flour mixture depending on how much broth you have.)
- Pour hot gravy over stew and stir enough to mix.
If you need forms and printables to help you with your meal planning, don’t miss these I created:
About Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes
These are recipes I have enjoyed throughout my life – as a child, as a young woman, and now as a wife and mom. I am sharing them because they taste good and are relatively easy to make. They only require basic ingredients that most women will be able to easily find and afford. I encourage you to use the best ingredients your can afford for the best results. It really does make a tremendous difference in the quality of the final product.
For example, I only use King Arthur Unbleached Flour for regular baking. After some inexplicable failed results at long-time favorites, I no longer use store brand butter for any baking. I only use Land O’Lakes. The difference is substantial and can mean the difference between a high quality end product and a mess.
And, please, if you do try one of my recipes and like it, come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!
Categories: Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes