When I was growing up, this was always called Tinfoil Delight in our home. I have no idea where that name came from and I don’t really see it in use for this recipe online. In Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, it is generally called a hobo dinner because it’s cooked in foil over an open fire.
Hobo dinner is not high cuisine, but it always tastes so good! It’s probably because it’s made of basic comfort foods that go together well. Before Caroline was born, David and I would often throw these together when we were busy with a large client project and we didn’t want to eat out or take the time to make a more involved meal. It takes just a few minutes to assemble and it cooks itself. As an added bonus, there was very little clean-up.
This is also a great choice if you are trying to cut your grocery budget. It requires very few ingredients to make. Another win!
For each serving you will need:
- 1 ground beef patty
- 1 or 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 or 2 carrots, peeled and cut into sticks (approximately 6-8 sticks per carrot)
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- seasoning salt
- garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Place the beef patty in the center of a piece of aluminum foil approximately 14 inches long. Sprinkle with pepper, seasoning salt, and garlic salt.
- Lay the potatoes, carrots, and onions on top of and around the patty. Sprinkle vegetables with more seasoning.
- Put the butter patties on top of the whole pile.
- Pull up the sides of the aluminum foil to enclose everything in a foil pouch.
- Place the pouch on a jelly roll pan (just in case it leaks) and cook for approximately one hour at 350 degrees.
We enjoy eating the patty with steak sauce. Yum!
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!
Don’t miss my A Quiet Simple Life Planner and Guidebook. It contains over 500 pages of printables, forms, calendars, inspiration, and ideas to help you create a cozy life full of peace, understanding, joy, beauty, and faith for you and your loved ones.