I must be crazy, but here is the question: Do you spank? I’ve been thinking a lot about the to spank or not to spank debate and would honestly like to hear your experiences and convictions.
Questions about Spanking
Here are some possible questions.
- Do you spank? Why or why not?
- Did you start spanking and change your mind? Decide at first not to spank and now do?
- Do you believe “spare the rod and spoil the child” is a biblical directive?
- When do you believe a child is old enough to obey and be spanked for disobedience?
- If you don’t spank, what do you do?
- And if you could only recommend one book related to discipline to a new parent, which book would you recommend?
Please focus on explaining your own view of spanking as opposed to trashing the opposing view. Thank you.
Should be an interesting discussion!
Update in 2018: What follows in the comments is a very interesting and respectful discussion that took place when my daughter was about fifteen months old.
In the end, we changed our mind and did not spank. You can read about our decision with our daughter in the post 6 Reasons Why We Changed Our Mind and Stopped Spanking. I do not endorse all of the comments below or all of the books recommended in the comments, but I include this post and the comments on my site because I think it contains valuable insights regarding why people choose to spank and choose not to spank.