These ham and cheesy potatoes are Comfort Food with a capital C and a capital F. There aren’t too many things I could sit and eat and eat and eat, but this is one of them. I got this recipe from a woman I taught with several years ago. It is without a doubt one of our top five meals.
I have tweaked this recipe quite a bit. The original recipe called for a can of chicken broth, but I use water and add salt instead. It also called for five pounds of potatoes, but I use much less so as to have more sauce. I also use shredded cheddar instead of process cheese spread.
Ham and Cheesy Potatoes
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks and cooked
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 small/medium onion, chopped
- diced ham (use whatever amount you want)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 and 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Cook potatoes in boiling salt water; drain. Place in greased casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan melt butter and stir in flour. Cook briefly. Whisk in water. Add onion, salt, pepper, cheese, mayo, and ham. Stir and cook until thickened.
- Pour ham and cheese mixture over potatoes and toss gently.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!
Don’t miss my A Quiet Simple Life Planner and Guidebook. It contains over 500 pages of printables, forms, calendars, inspiration, and ideas to help you create a cozy life full of peace, understanding, joy, beauty, and faith for you and your loved ones.