My mom has made Sarah’s Salad for many years and it is always so good! She made it for us last weekend when we visited. I finally asked for the recipe so I could make it at home, too.
Sarah’s Salad with Swiss Cheese, Peas and Bacon
- 2 cups each of lettuce, romaine, and curly endive, torn into small pieces (curly endive it somewhat bitter so you can omit that and use only lettuce and romaine in greater amounts)
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, cut into thin strips
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen peas, cooked
- 6 slices of bacon, crisp-cooked, drained and crumbled
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sugar
- dash of salt
- In a large glass bowl with straight sides, toss together lettuce, romaine and endive.
- Top with cheese, peas, half of the bacon, and all of the onion.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, sugar and salt. Spoon over onion. Do not toss.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with remaining bacon and toss.
Serves 6 to 8.
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!