This is a recipe I’ve adjusted and adapted. I made it this week with the thought I could freeze some of the leftovers for another meal for David and Caroline. After eating it multiple meals in a row (by her own choice), Caroline asked me to make it again. LOL! I told her she’d have to wait until next week. Caroline likes it so much David is lucky to get any of it.
I’m going to list exactly what I use, including the name brand items that I think make a big difference in how good this tastes. I don’t use a lot of garlic any longer so I purchase the minced garlic in liquid that keeps forever in the refrigerator. However, in the recipe I put the standard garlic clove since I assume that is what most people have. If you can find the Muir Glen tomatoes I included below, they are fantastic.
Baked Ziti with Italian Sausage
- 8 ounces ziti
- 1 pound Bob Evans Italian Sausage (green roll)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 oz each) Contadina tomato paste
- 4 oz water
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp dried parsley (optional)
- Cook ziti in boiling, salted water according to package directions and drain.
- Lightly brown Italian sausage and onion in pan. Remove any excess fat. Add garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and oregano. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cooked ziti and sauce in large bowl. Transfer to 13 x 9 x 2 inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and then Mozzarella cheese on top. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Makes 6 servings.
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!
Don’t miss my A Quiet Simple Life Planner and Guidebook. It contains over 500 pages of printables, forms, calendars, inspiration, and ideas to help you create a cozy life full of peace, understanding, joy, beauty, and faith for you and your loved ones.