This is my favorite baked potato soup recipe! It is the ultimate comfort food when topped with shredded sharp cheddar and bacon.
The original recipe called for canned chicken broth, but I use a combination of water and Chicken Better Than Bullion which is so much tastier and rich. You can adjust the amount of potatoes up or down depending on how thick you want the soup to be. We like it a bit on the thick and chunky side.
Baked Potato Soup
- 2 cups water
- 1-2 tsp Chicken Better Than Bullion (to taste)
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 3 cups potato, diced or small chunks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat water and milk in large saucepan over medium-high heat to almost boiling. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large soup pot, melt butter. Add flour, stirring constantly 3 minutes to cook flour and make a roux. Gradually add the milk mixture to roux, pouring in a slow steady stream while whisking vigorously to blend and eliminate lumps. Add bay leaves, white pepper, salt, and potatoes.
- Cover and continue to simmer over low heat 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and soup thickens, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick. Lightly mash potatoes in soup and stir to blend well.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese and bacon. You can also add green onion, if you desire.
Makes 4 cups.
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!
Don’t miss my Creating a Cozy Life Planner and Guidebook. It contains over 500 pages of printables, forms, calendars, inspiration, and ideas to help you create a cozy life full of peace, understanding, joy, beauty, and faith for you and your loved ones.