Thanksgiving: Its Origin, Celebration and Significance as Related in Prose and Verse by Robert haven Schauffler (1907) is an excellent vintage book for the American family who wishes to remember the traditions, origins, and history of the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanks to Google, you can add a copy to your family library for free.
About The Book
The book features a variety of short pieces that have been divided into the general categories of:
- The Spirit of Thanksgiving
- The Thanksgiving Season
- Exercises (class readings and plays)
The Preface explains the need for this collection:
Every autumn in school and home recurs the need for a collection of literature on Thanksgiving, an anthology comprehensive enough to include all the best that has been written about this intensely American holiday. For years the imperative ungratified demand for such a book has almost suggested a dark conspiracy among literary folk, – a conspiracy which the present volume is Intended to thwart. It brings to children of all ages all the best poems, essays, plays and stories of Thanksgiving. And its scope is yet wider.
The Introduction gives a rapid view of the holiday’s origin, its derivation from ancient festivals; its development, its spirit and its significance. This part of the books intends to be as suggestive as possible to parent and teachers who are personally conducted to the sources for the study of their subject.
Here is a link for a free Google copy to be downloaded and saved:
- Thanksgiving By Robert Haven Schauffler (PDF)
If you prefer to purchase a paperback copy, it can be found here:
- Thanksgiving By Robert Haven Schauffler
Ideas For Using The Book
During the month of November, select various readings, poems, or hymns that will best work with your family’s current situation and learning plans.
- Choose one selection each day to read aloud as part of your morning time, homeschooling, or family worship.
- Use the poems for copywork during November.
- Practice narration with the stories.
- If your family is working on memorizing poetry, there are several selections to choose from.
- Research an author and write a short biography about him or her.
Leave a Reply