At my baby shower Friday evening, there was a discussion among several of the women regarding the question of whether it is easier to raise boys or girls. Since I have no experience directly with either, I just listened. The strong consensus was that it is much easier to raise boys.
I got to thinking about this afterward because my impression is that a girl would be easier to raise. (But more expensive!) I wondered why I had my perception when the reality of so many experienced moms has been the opposite.
Then I realized why I have always thought it would be easier to raise a girl than a boy.
Easier to Raise Boys or Girls?
I can think of lots and lots of godly young women, but a whole lot less godly young men. I would guess that this is probably true of most of the people reading this. So I think that this has probably heavily influenced my thinking (along with being a girl so I think I intuitively understand the “girl” experience more than the “boy” experience).
I’m thinking that maybe your view of whether it is easier to raise boys or girls depends on the outcome you have in mind.
And I’m sure the personality of the child comes heavily into play as well.
I would be interested to hear from others, especially those who have raised both boys and girls.
- What is your criteria for “easier?”
- Which have you found easier in general?
- Which have you found easier spiritually?
- Do you think it is a boy/girl thing or does it depend more heavily on their personality, giftings, and/or emotional makeup?
- Do you think the method of schooling (homeschool, public school, or private school) also has an impact on it?
- What influences have you observed related to this topic that I haven’t even mentioned?
I look forward to hearing what people think!