Technology and online learning opens up all kinds of possibilities when it comes to homeschool science curriculum. I had the opportunity to review what the Homeschool Buyers Co-op has to offer homeschooling parents who are looking for science ideas. (If you remember, we also checked out Homeschool Math Curriculum Ideas for Kids Who Learn Differently with the Homeschool Buyers Co-op.) So let’s jump in and see what’s there!
I am being compensated for my time to write this post and share this information. These are not reviews, but are provided for informational purposes.
Homeschool Science Curriculum
The Homeschool Buyers Co-op has an award-winning selection of science and technology products, including core science curriculum and supplements, coding and programming courses, hands-on experimentation, and more. Their science and technology section includes savings of up to 95%.
If you are ever in the market for anything homeschooling-related, you should always check Homeschool Buyers Co-op first because they always have so many excellent specials available!
Starry Night Software
Starry Night Software combines an interactive sky simulator, lesson plans, and extensive teacher resources.
The topics covered include:
- Earth, Moon and Sun
- Solar System
- The Planets
- Small Solar System Bodies
- Star Finding and Constellations
- The Sun as a Star
- The Stars
- Galaxies and the Universe
- Space Exploration and Technology
It is the winner of the ComputED’s Best Educational Software Award and definitely worth checking out! It is available for elementary, middle school, and high school.
We’re a Minecraft family so this program caught my eye. (Caroline hasn’t wanted to get into coding yet. She’s really into playing and decorating her various homes but not learning anything more. LOL!) But if she were to express an interest, this is a program I would check out.
CodaKid is the name of online gaming courses created by David Dodge who has created over 30 games for the Sony Playstation, PC, and several SEGA platforms. Students learn how to build mods for Minecraft, design games, and build apps. CodaKid is self-paced and students learn using actual coding skills used by major companies.
If you are looking for something with an official seal of approval, Supercharged Science is a Cathy Duffy 102 Top Pick for Homeschool Curriculum. e-Science is a complete, self-guided, video-based online science curriculum that explains science topics to kids in a practical real-world way, then uses step-by-step videos to guide them through every detail of activities, experiments and projects that let them apply the concepts they just learned.
Supercharged Science features:
- Step-by step video tutorials by an experienced science teacher
- Hands-on activities and experiments, with step-by-step video explanation
- Text-book style reading materials to support the video curriculum
- Homework, exercises, and quizzes to reinforce the lessons and help you track your student’s progress
- Access to an experienced science teacher who can answer your student’s questions
Thinkwell Science is a new-to-me company. Created for sixth through twelfth grade students, it features lectures by top science instructors from around the country including professors from Purdue, Rice, University of Chicago, Williams College, etc.
Instead of reading a textbook, students watch a series of dynamic 10-minute video lectures and then complete interactive online exercises that reinforce concepts and demonstrate mastery. The instructors are excellent communicators and the tutorials and extensive interactive exercises make the material memorable by delivering the unexpected with examples and stories.
Each Thinkwell title features a comprehensive curriculum comparable to a traditional printed text, including:
- Thinkwell’s award-winning online video lectures
- Registration into the Thinkwell home schooling website where students have access to exercises, illustrated notes, animations, and more
- Chapter practice tests and chapter exams
- Worked out solutions to exercises with instant feedback
- Tracking of homework and chapter test results
So for the middle school and high school students who would like to learn science online with college and university professors, Thinkwell Science could be an interesting fit!
Ocean First Education
Kids who are interested in the ocean, ocean creatures, etc. will find this a fascinating study. Ocean First Education offers a variety of courses on amazing creatures, the foundations of marine ecology, ocean literacy, etc. The course includes breathtaking imagery and a dynamic curricula to guide you on an engaging journey.
To see everything in homeschool science curriculum for online learning, just head over to Homeschool Buyers Co-op.
Categories: Homeschool Curriculum Reviews
Latest posts by Sallie Borrink (see all)
- AQSL 005: Bringing Peace to Your Life and Home - August 24, 2019
- A Day in Our Cozy Life #4 - August 23, 2019
- The Life Lessons of Warren Wiersbe, Rachel Held Evans, and Those Falling Away by Deconstructing Their Faith - August 17, 2019
- Free Squirrels Word Search Printable - August 14, 2019