Chocolate Cherry Bars is a recipe my mom started making many years ago. I’ve served it countless times to company over the years and people almost always ask for a second piece (especially men!). No, these are not healthy. But they are a delicious treat! If you like the flavor of chocolate covered cherries, you will like this!
The other great thing about this recipe is you can easily keep all of the ingredients on hand so it makes a quick dessert in a hurry.
Cake mix names change all the time, but you want something rich and full of a dark chocolate for the base.
Chocolate Cherry Bars
- 1 pkg Pillsbury Devil’s Food or Fudge Cake Mix
- 21 oz can cherry fruit filling (pie filling)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 eggs, beaten by hand
- 1 cup white sugar
- 5 Tbsp butter (salted)
- 1/3 cup milk (whole or 2%)
- 1 cup (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using Crisco or Pam, grease and flour 15×10 jelly roll or 13×9 pan.
- In large bowl, combine cake ingredients. Stir by hand until well mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake jelly roll pan 20-30 minutes; 13×9 pan 25-30 minutes.
While bars cool, prepare frosting.
- In small sauce pan, combine sugar, butter, and milk.
- Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until smooth.
- Pour over partially cooled bars and spread evenly.
Allow frosting to set before cutting.
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!
Don’t miss my A Quiet Simple Life Planner and Guidebook. It contains over 500 pages of printables, forms, calendars, inspiration, and ideas to help you create a cozy life full of peace, understanding, joy, beauty, and faith for you and your loved ones.