I found this recipe for rich cheese soup in a Gooseberry Patch book and tried it this week for the first time. It is very good and very rich. The next time I serve it, I will only serve it as a side with something else less rich and less salty rather than making it the main item of the meal.
A few tweaks I made/will make… I will add more carrots. It did not take 30 minutes to heat. I heated it for only about 15 minutes since I did not want the vegetables to be mush. It also took less than 15 minutes to heat through and melt the cheese.
Rich Cheese Soup
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2-10 & 1/2 oz. cans chicken broth
- 2-10 & 3/4 oz. cans cream of potato soup
- 8 oz. Velveeta, cubed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 oz. sour cream
- In a large stockpot, saute celery, carrots, and onions in butter. Add chicken broth and potato soup; heat for 30 minutes over medium heat.
- Blend in cheese, salt, pepper and sour cream. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Makes 8-10 servings
(Sallie’s note: These would be small side servings, not meal-sized portions.)
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!
Don’t miss my A Quiet Simple Life Planner and Guidebook. It contains over 500 pages of printables, forms, calendars, inspiration, and ideas to help you create a cozy life full of peace, understanding, joy, beauty, and faith for you and your loved ones.
Leave a Reply