I originally found this recipe via Brenda at Coffee Tea Books and Me. It’s a flexible muffin recipe called Muffins My Way (on her recipe blog) that can be made many different ways. In our home, however, there is only ONE way to make it. LOL!
Caroline eats two of these every morning for breakfast. I’ve made them every six days for I don’t know how many years. I stopped needing the recipe a long time ago. And you cannot use chocolate chips in these for the Caroline version. They must be Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chunks.
I use King Arthur Unbleached White Flour and Land O Lakes butter. I do not use store brand butter for baking because the results are not reliable. I also have adjusted the temperatures and baking time so I’m going to provide the original and my adjustments in the directions.
Caroline’s Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup of chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Melt butter, set aside.
- Whisk together milk and egg.
- Pour milk and egg mixture into bowl of dry ingredients, then add melted butter to bowl. Stir only until ingredients are combined; do not overmix.
- Fold chocolate chunks gently into batter.
- Use a spoon to drop into muffin cups.
- Original recipe: Bake for 17-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- My adjustment: Put muffins in oven and immediately turn down to 375 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes. My muffin pan is darker (like this one) and this may be why it works better this way. They are always perfect with this combination of preheating, turning down the temperature, and baking for 15 minutes.
- Yields 12 muffins
You can see all of my recipes under Sallie’s Favorite Comfort Food Recipes. If you do try one of my recipes and like it, please come back and let me know in a comment. I truly do appreciate it when people do so!