There are so many ways to celebrate Thanksgiving! This list of simple Thanksgiving learning projects varies widely in grade level, although many can be adapted to make them appropriate for a variety of ages.
Most of these projects can be completed with simple supplies you probably already have around your home. If not, you can easily order whatever craft supplies you need from Amazon and have them delivered to your door. There is also a section with crafts that are ready-to-buy kits to make things even easier.
Thanksgiving Reading and Writing Projects
Thanksgiving offers some great topics for reading and writing projects. Here are a few that will meet the need with a variety of learners.
- Write a “Mayflower Times” or “Plymouth Herald” newspaper.
- Pretend you are a Pilgrim child. Write a letter to a friend back home and tell her about your voyage and first year in America.
- Write a Pilgrim biography.
- Chose a favorite Thanksgiving book and write a letter to a friend, telling him about why he should buy the book and read it.
- Write a poem about the first Thanksgiving.
- Make an acrostic for Thanksgiving Day. For each letter, think of a word or phrase related to Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving Arts and Crafts Projects
Need an easy Thanksgiving arts and craft project? Here are a few that will work well!
- Illustrate a drawing of the Mayflower.
- Make a Thanksgiving diorama.
- Draw a comic strip.
- Make Pilgrims and Indians out of toilet paper tubes.
- Make a flannel board story.
- Design a cross stitch or needlepoint sampler.
- Draw a poster advertising traveling to America on the Mayflower.
- Make placemats for Thanksgiving dinner.
- Make a mobile out of a hanger.
- Make a banner.
If you need some ready-to-go crafts, check out these kits!
Festive Fall Thanksgiving Party Turkey Craft Kit ActivitiesCraft Kits Thanksgiving & AutumnFestive Fall Thanksgiving Party Thanksgiving Activity SheetsThanksgiving & Autumn Craft Kits12 ThanksgivingThanksgiving Children’s Crafts Foam Party Platter
Thanksgiving Gift Projects
- Design a Thanksgiving card.
- Create a bookmark favor for your Thanksgiving guests.
Thanksgiving Fun Projects
- Create a Thanksgiving board game.
- Make a Thanksgiving puppet.
- Write a Thanksgiving Day skit.
- Make a card game.
- Make a word search.
- Make a crossword puzzle.
- How many words can you make using the letters in “Happy Thanksgiving Day!”
Thanksgiving in My Learning Shop
If you are really pressed for time, check out the Thanksgiving section in my learning shop. I have a number of fun learning activities that are ready to purchase and download instantly. These products include writing prompts, fun fact cards, copywork and more!