There are so many ways to celebrate the true meaning and blessings of Thanksgiving. This list of simple Thanksgiving learning projects varies widely in grade level, although many can be adapted to make them appropriate for a variety of ages.
As a general rule, these Thanksgiving learning projects can be completed with simple supplies you probably already have in your home. There are short projects and longer projects. Some are creative and some are more academic. There should be a project for every kind of learner in your home.
Let’s see what fun you can have learning about Thanksgiving this year!
Thanksgiving Reading & Writing Projects
Thanksgiving offers some great topics for reading and writing projects. Here are a few that will meet the need with a variety of learners.
- Write a “Mayflower Times” or “Plymouth Herald” newspaper.
- Pretend you are a Pilgrim child. Write a letter to a friend back home and tell her about your voyage and first year in America.
- Write a Pilgrim biography.
- Chose a favorite Thanksgiving book and write a letter to a friend, telling him about why he should buy the book and read it.
- Write a poem about the first Thanksgiving.
- Make an acrostic for Thanksgiving Day. For each letter, think of a word or phrase related to Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving Arts & Crafts Projects
Need an easy Thanksgiving arts and craft project? Here are a few that will work well!
- Illustrate a drawing of the Mayflower.
- Make a Thanksgiving diorama.
- Draw a comic strip.
- Make Pilgrims and Indians out of toilet paper tubes.
- Make a flannel board story.
- Design a cross stitch or needlepoint sampler.
- Draw a poster advertising traveling to America on the Mayflower.
- Make placemats for Thanksgiving dinner.
- Make a mobile out of a hanger.
- Make a banner.
Thanksgiving Gift Projects
- Design a Thanksgiving card.
- Create a bookmark favor for your Thanksgiving guests.
Thanksgiving Creative Fun Projects
- Create a Thanksgiving board game.
- Make a Thanksgiving puppet.
- Write a Thanksgiving Day skit.
- Make a card game.
- Make a word search.
- Make a crossword puzzle.
- How many words can you make using the letters in “Happy Thanksgiving Day!”
Thanksgiving Printables & Worksheets
If you would like a wide variety of printables and worksheets, check out the Thanksgiving category in my shop. I have many fun Thanksgiving themed learning activities that are ready to purchase and download instantly. These products include math, reading, writing prompts, fun fact cards, copywork, and more.
Leave a Reply