These November and Thanksgiving themed activities are appropriate for first and second grade depending on the ability level of the learner.
The student pages are included in both color and black/white.
Reading & Writing
- Thanksgiving Fact or Opinion Center – Read the sentence on each card and determine if it is fact or opinion. Write the sentence under “Fact” or “Opinion” on the recording sheet.
- My Thanksgiving Celebration Mini-Book – Write words to complete the sentences about how students celebrate Thanksgiving and then illustrate each page.
- Scrambled Sentences – Unscramble the sentences and then write them down.
- Thanksgiving ABC Order – Put two sets of four words each in ABC order.
- Thanksgiving I Have Who Has – Participate in a game of “I have, who has” using the 32 illustrated cards.
- How to Make a Turkey – Provide the instructions for how to make a turkey. There are two versions available. One could require only drawing or an illustration with words. The second is for writing instructions.
- A Story Map – Complete a graphic organizer with title, author, characters, setting, beginning, middle and end.
- A Story Web – Complete a graphic organizer with title and author, main characters, setting, problem and solution.
- Reading Response – Identify the beginning, middle, end and their favorite part.
- Reading Response – Identify the beginning, middle, end and their favorite character.
- I Am Thankful For Acrostic – Record what they are thankful for, one word for each letter in “Thanksgiving Day.”
- First Thanksgiving and My Thanksgiving Venn Diagram – Compare and contrast their Thanksgiving with the First Thanksgiving.
- Pilgrims and Indians/Native Americans Venn Diagrams – Compare and contrast the Pilgrims and Indians or Native Americans using one of the two Venn diagrams provided.
- How Many Words? – Write as many words as possible by using the letters in “Happy Thanksgiving.”
- Thanksgiving Writing Papers – Write using any of these three cute themed papers.
- Thanksgiving Tally Fun Center – Count the objects on the card and then write the answer in tally marks on their recording sheet.
- Fraction Sort Activity – Cut out squares with various pictured fractions (1/4, 1/2, 1/3, and 1/5) and then glue them onto the response sheet in the correct section.
- Odd or Even? – Determine if the number is odd or even and circle the appropriate word (1-100).
- Ordering Numbers – Write in correct order a group of 3 or 4 numbers (1-100).
- Fill in the Missing Number – Fill in the correct number(s) in a series of five numbers (1-100).
- Make the Match – Draw a line connecting the number with the word (zero through one hundred, by tens).
- Counting By Twos – Fill in missing numbers, counting by 2’s from 2 to 30.
- Counting By Fives – Fill in the missing numbers, counting by 5’s from 5 to 100.
- Counting By Tens – Fill in the missing numbers, counting by 10’s from 10 to 100.
- Circle the Least Number – Circle the number that is the least from a group of four numbers (1-100).
- Circle the Greatest Number – Circle the number that is the greatest from a group of four numbers (1-100).
- Addition Facts – Cut out rectangles with math addition facts and glue them onto the correct answer column. There are two different addition pages with answers 4-7 and 8-9.
- Subtraction Facts –Cut out rectangles with math subtraction facts and glue them onto the correct answer column. There are two different subtraction pages with answers 2-4 and 5-8.
Word Wall Cards and Extra Fun
- Thanksgiving KWL – Two versions (horizontal and vertical) to assess and track student understanding of Thanksgiving.
- Pilgrims KWL – Two versions (horizontal and vertical) to assess and track student understanding of Pilgrims.
- First Thanksgiving KWL – Two versions (horizontal and vertical) to assess and track student understanding of the First Thanksgiving.
- Thanksgiving Word Search – Look for twelve Thanksgiving words. (No backwards or diagonal words.)
- A Class Thanksgiving Quilt – Make a class Thanksgiving quilt out of copied quilt squares. They can be “stitched” together and displayed on a wall or bulletin board.
- Word Wall Cards – Fry’s First 100 Words to display
- Word Wall Cards – 42 Thanksgiving Words to display