This literacy pack celebrates America with 23 activities. Perfect for your students who need hands-on learning and not just another worksheet.
The pack is designed primarily for first grade, but could also work in kindergarten or second grade depending on student ability.
All student sheets are provided in both color and black/white.
America Literacy Activities
- Word Bank – A printable sheet word bank with 42 relevant words for any America-related unit. Teacher can laminate and put in centers or hand out for students to use during the unit.
- Word Wall Cards – A set of 42 word wall cards on red and blue star backgrounds.
- President True or False – Students will cut out statements and determine if they are true or false. They will glue them in the correct section of their sheet.
- Scrambled Sentences – There are two options for this activity. In the first, students will unscramble the sentence on the six card set. They will write the correct sentence on the recording sheet. OR There is also a worksheet with the scrambled sentences (no cards) that can be unscrambled and written down.
- America ABC Order – Students will put four words on each task card in ABC order and write on recording sheet.
- Write the Room – Students will complete write the room tasks. There are four sheets in this pack: short/long vowels, common/proper nouns, 1-2-3-4+ syllables, and person/place/thing.
- President versus King Venn Diagram – Students will brainstorm the differences and similarities between a king and president.
- George Washington versus Abraham Lincoln Venn Diagram – Students will brainstorm the differences and similarities between the two presidents.
- If I Were President – Students will write a brief statement and illustrate four things they would do if they were president.
- My American Favorites Mini Book – Students will fill in blank of up to 12 different favorites and illustrate each half page. The teacher may choose as many different topics/pages as she would like.
- America Cross Out – Students will cross out the word in each row that doesn’t belong with the rest. They will then write a few sentences at the bottom using some of the words listed above.
- My July 4th History Book Mini Book – Students will learn fascinating facts about July 4th and illustrate each page.
- How To Become President – Students will list five steps to becoming president.
- Dear Mr. President – Students will write a letter to the president.
- Four Great Things about America – Students will write about four things they think are great about America.
- My Favorite Place in America – Students will write about their favorite place in America and illustrate it as though it is a newspaper article.
- America List It! – Students will attempt to write one word about America for each letter of the alphabet.
- I Love America! – Students will tell what they like about America by writing one word for each letter in “I Love America”
- How Many Words? – Students will write as many words as they can using the letters in “Washington, D.C.”
- Reading Response – Students will illustrate the Beginning, Middle, End and My favorite part.
- A Story Map – Students will identify Title, Author, Characters, Setting, Beginning, Middle and End.
- A Story Web – Student will identify Title, Author, Main Characters, Setting, Problem and Solution.
- America and The President Writing Papers – Titled pages with lines for writing and a large box on top for illustrating. Includes both primary dotted lines and regular lines options for both topics.
Other America Activities
- America Word Search – Fun America-themed word search. No backwards or diagonal words.
- Memory Game – Fun game for center time or early finishers.
- Inauguration Day KWL – Explore Inauguration Day with this KWL activity.