Listening is a skill that we must develop. Unless we are deaf for some reason, we all hear. But very few people become skilled listeners.
I remember teaching the twelve students in my first classroom how to listen. I created activities to do with them that required them to listen and process information carefully. This group of third, fourth, and fifth graders became excellent listeners. They learned how to block out distractions, focus, and carefully follow someone else’s words.
Learning to Listen to God
Likewise, listening to God is a skill that we must develop. There are many ways that God will get our attention and speak to us. I think the ways that He speaks to us are often unique to our personalities and situations. Naturally He will never speak in a way that contradicts His character or Word. But I believe with all my heart and based on my own experiences that God is masterful in finding personal ways to communicate with each of His children.
How might the Lord speak to someone?
- Through the beauty of His creation – birds, flowers, stars, frost.
- Through a repeated theme in books, sermons or articles we read – grace, love, forgiveness.
- Through hymns or songs.
- Through specific Scripture passages we are led to by the Holy Spirit.
- Through gifts or letters sent by other people.
The longer we walk with God, the more clearly we begin to see patterns in the ways He will get our attention and speak to us. Although He may not speak to us in an audible voice, we can become very skilled at listening to the way He speaks to us.
Listening to God at Christmas
During this Christmas season, I challenge you to make a special effort to listen to God. Ask Him to open your eyes to what He has to show you. Look for the ways He is speaking to you through whatever means He chooses.
Wait, expectantly, on the Lord.
This is part of 5 Days of Christmas Peace. This is a series of brief but meaningful thoughts about celebrating Christmas in a peaceful way.
- Simplify – 5 Days of Christmas Peace
- Quiet – 5 Days of Christmas Peace
- Read – 5 Days of Christmas Peace
- Listen – 5 Days of Christmas Peace
- Pray – 5 Days of Christmas Peace
This post is part of the iHomeschool Network 5 Days of Christmas link-up.
Categories: Christian Faith