Should You Buy a 14 Day Food Supply Pack? (#32)
There are a number of companies that sell ready-made food supply packs for every time frame from two or three days to a year. I think these could be a wise purchase for some families, depending on your situation.
If you aren't familiar with them, here are several on Amazon by different companies so you can get an idea of what they include and how they are structured price-wise. (Post continues after list)
- Mountain House Just In Case 14-Day Emergency Food Supply
- Mountain House 5-Day Emergency Food Supply
- Mountain House Classic Bucket
- Mountain House Breakfast Bucket
- Mountain House 3-Day Emergency Food Supply Kit
- NorthWest Fork Gluten-Free 30 Day Emergency Food Supply (Kosher, Non-GMO, Vegan)
- Legacy Bulk Dehydrated Survival Food Storage: 720 Large Servings - Emergency Freeze Dried Supply
- Legacy 6 Day Emergency Food Supply Kit
- Legacy Freeze Dried Survival Food Storage: 1080 Large Servings - Emergency Disaster Preparedness- 1 Person Year Supply
- Wise Company Emergency Food Supply, Variety Pack, 25-Year Shelf Life, 104 Servings
- Augason Farms 30-Day Emergency Food Storage Supply
- Augason Farms Breakfast and Dinner Variety Pail Emergency Food Supply
- Augason Farms Breakfast Emergency Food Supply
- Augason Farms Deluxe 4-Month 1-Person 10-Pail Kit Emergency Food Supply
So who would these be good for? Here are some thoughts.
First, these could be very helpful if you are concerned about your ability to physically function well in an emergency. If you have health issues, stamina issues, etc. that will make the extra work of preparing food in an emergency more of a burden, then ready-to-eat foods might be a very wise investment.
Two, if you are concerned about evacuations these could be a huge blessing. You can easily throw a few weeks worth of food into your car and leave. You put yourself in a much better position of not being dependent on others for your food while away from home. These packs are compact so you can take them with you much more easily than you could if everything was in cans, canning jars, boxes, etc. from your pantry.
Three, this could be the way to go if you want to accomplish a food prep goal quickly. If having a food supply concerns you greatly because of your particular location or situation, you can order these and be done with it as compared to spending weeks or months slowly stocking a pantry based on sales and grocery shopping.
Four, if you have limited storage space because you live in an apartment or a house without adequate storage space, these could work well. If you don't have a basement or pantry, it can be much more challenging to find places to create a deep pantry.
These packs are pricey. For some of my readers, I know this isn't within the realm of possibility. Other readers could order the most expensive packs on there and not think twice about laying out that kind of money. Many readers are somewhere in-between. We each have to choose what works best for our situation. These are one option for some people.
Thankful wife of David for 23 years and momma to Caroline for 13 years - Relaxed/Unschoolerish - Lover of books - Seeker of wisdom - Drinker of too many coconut milk mochas from Starbucks