Yesterday I shared one of my favorite books about The Great Depression. Today I’m going to share the sequel! When the Banks Closed, We Opened Our Hearts. This is also a wonderful living book full of stories told by people who lived through the Great Depression. The stories are overwhelmingly positive and feature people making the best of what were often very difficult circumstances.
This book is full of photographs and the stories are short so it is a good book to use with children when introducing them to the realities of the Great Depression.
The chapters include:
- Bank Closures Shook Our Trust
- Alphabet Soup
- When Hobos Rode the Rails
- Recycling’s Nothing New
- You Could Depend on Family
- We Called the Orphanage “Home”
- Making Food Stretch
- All the Okies Weren’t from Muskogee
- Now That Was Entertainment
- City Life Was a Challenge
- It Was My Lucky Break
Highly recommended for your study of the Great Depression!
This is part of my 10 Days of Learning from The Great Depression series.